Cranberry Apple Chutney
In a large saucepan mix and cook together until cranberries pop (10 – 15 minutes). Cool + refrigerate. Makes 2 cups.
- 2 C Starvation Alley cranberries
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¾ C vinegar
- ½ C celery chopped
- ½ C raisins or currants
- ½ C brown sugar
- 1 juiced lemon or orange
- 1 t cinnamon,
- ¾ t ginger
- ½ t cloves
- ½ t mustard or mustard seed
Great condiment on all meats or try it with your favorite crackers + cheese.
Pulse cranberries first until coarsely chopped, then add remaining ingredients. Gently toss. Makes 2 cups.
- 2 C Starvation Alley cranberries
- 1 C orange sections, coarsely chopped
- ½ C red onion, chopped
- ½ yellow pepper, chopped.
- 1 lime, freshly squeezed
- 1 T sugar or honey
- 3 T fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 jalapeno pepper (seeded & finely chopped)
- 1 t cumin seeds or powder (optional)
Great with fish tacos and all seafood. Try it on meats and sweet potato fries as well!
Papa Kambury's Cranberry Sauce
- 16oz of Starvation Alley cranberries
- 2 - 16oz Starvation Alley Cranberry Juice
- 2 apples minced (Save one to add with the berries!)
- Seeds of 1 pomegranate
- 1 T fresh ginger minced
- Scratch of black pepper
- 1 t allspice
- ½ t of nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 shot of brandy or orange liquor
Put everything but the berries in a medium saucepan and reduce by half over a steady simmer.
Strain out the solids and taste the juice. It should be sort of sweet, spicy, tangy and fragrant. In short, delicious.
Add the berries and second apple, return to simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally until thickening (10-20 minutes). Remove from heat, cover and refrigerate.
If the sauce doesn’t thicken enough, remove a ¼ C of juice, mix with a tsp of corn starch, and stir back in. Eat + enjoy.
recipe developed by Dennis Kambury
Cranberry Honey Butter
Combine the above ingredients until well blended. Lasts for weeks refrigerated.
- 1 lb butter; beat at high speed until fluffy
- 1 C Starvation Alley cranberries
- ¼ C honey or agave
- ¼ C "Saucy Cranberries" or Starvation Alley Cranberry Sauce
- 2 T brown sugar
- 2 T orange peel, grated
- 2 T buttermilk or cream
- 1 T lemon juice
Delicious on bread or rolls!
Cranberry Upside Down Cake
- 3/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 T unsalted butter
- 1/4 C dark Cruzan rum
- 12 oz Starvation Alley cranberries
- 1 3/4 C all purpose flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C (1 stick) butter, room temp (plus more for buttering the pan)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 T orange zest
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1/4 C of milk
- 1/4 C dark Cruzan rum*
*you may wish to increase this amount as much as double to have a more pronounced rum flavor in the finished cake
- Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch diameter cake pan.
- In a small saucepan, place the 1/4 cup of butter and the 3/4 cups of packed brown sugar. On medium high heat, stir the sugar as the butter melts. Once the butter is melted and mixed in well with the sugar, stop stirring and let the mixture simmer for 15 seconds or so.
- Pour the brown sugar butter mixture into the prepared cake pan. Spread the cranberries on top of the sugar butter mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl vigorously whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter until light. Add the sugar and beat together the sugar and butter until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla and orange zest.
- Mix a third of the dry ingredients into the mixture. Beat in half of the sour cream. Mix in another third of the dry ingredients. Mix in the remaining sour cream. Beat in the remaining dry ingredients and then the milk and rum.
- Pour batter over the cranberries in the cake pan, and smooth the surface. Place in the preheated oven and lower the heat from 350°F to 325°F. Bake until a tester comes out clean, 55 minutes to an hour.
- Cool cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Run a blunt knife around the inside rim of the cake pan to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Then turn the cake out onto a platter.
Starvation Alley’s "Saucy Cranberries" Cranberry Sauce
[insert recipe instructions here]
- 4 C Starvation Alley cranberries
- 4 C red wine
- 2 C chopped apples
- 1/2 C honey
- 1/3 C chopped ginger
- 2 t curry powder
- 2 t fennel seed
- 1 t ginger
- 1 t clove
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t cayenne
Mix all ingredients together in blender or food processor. Makes 1 ½ cups.
- ½ C Starvation Alley cranberries
- ½ C olive oil
- 4 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 T Starvation Alley Cranberry Juice
- 4-6 t minced shallots or onion
- 2 t sugar or honey
- ½ t Dijon mustard
- ½ t kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
Great on salads! Try this with mixed spring greens and/or spinach. Add blue cheese, nut or seeds, pear, and slivered red onions!
Cranberry Streusel Muffins
- 2 C flour
- 1 C packed brown sugar
- ½ C butter (1 stick)
- 3 T finely chopped walnuts
- 2 t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ½ t salt
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1 t grated orange rind
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ C buttermilk
- 1 ½ C Starvation Alley cranberries, chopped
- ½ C walnuts, chopped.
- Grease 18 muffin cups and preheat oven to 375.
- Mix 1 cup flour and the brown sugar together, cut in butter until crumbly, and reserve ½ cup mixture for topping.
- To topping mixture add 3 T walnuts and set aside.
- To remaining crumb mixture add remaining cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg & orange rind.
- Beat eggs with buttermilk and add to flour mixture. Mix until just moistened.
- Stir in cranberries and ½ C walnuts.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ full, sprinkle top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes.